Monday, February 14, 2011

A Belgian Valentine's Day

Personally I think you should strive to make every day feel like Valentine's Day. I suspect that most Belgians feel the same way, because today was much like any other day - with a few exceptions.

As I was on the platform waiting for the afternoon train at the Brussels South station, I noticed a fair number of men with roses in their hands and strange smiles on their faces. Although they were vastly outnumbered by the regular monotonous commuters, these happy romantics brought some extra cheer into the day with their perky flowers and gleeful smiles. There are some lucky girls out there.

The scene on the level below the platform was more entertaining than touching. Dozens of men were lined up in front of the chocolate shop to grab a last-minute present for their cherished sweethearts before the train came to carry them back home. Belgium is a land of chocolate, so Valentine's Day is a big deal... at least for the people selling the chocolate.



It may sound like I have little love for this day, but I do appreciate the message at its core. So I hope you're all loving a little bit extra today. Because you can't have too much of that stuff.

This is for my fiancé, the most amazing woman in the world.

I know you see enough foreign languages at your work, so I made this one easy: 
Ik hou van je - Jeg elsker deg - I love you 
See? It always translates into the same thing: Always and forever.


Happy Valentine's Day!

3 comments:

  1. Ik hou ook van jou - jeg elsker deg også - I love you too, muh bobo!

    Always and forever!! :)

    No words can possibly capture my gratitude for the day I found you... I will always do whatever I can to keep you safe and happy, you know it! :)

    sweet kisses for my chocolate prince <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet chocolate kisses for my princess ;) <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you love your boyfriend or girlfriend with all your heart, every day should be a Valentines Day. There should be no day to remind yourself to tell your partner how much you love him/her. It's the same with Mother's Day and such: invented by shopkeepers to have at least one day of busy shopping in a period when there was no such celebration before. It's all commerce. Giving a gift on Valentine's Day is like "everyone else does it, so I guess I just joined in"

    Luckily people realise the commercial aspect of it. If the love is real, you don't need a specific day to make your partner remind that. He/she will experience it every day, because true love means every day together is something special.

    (PS: this comes from someone who has been single for pretty much all of his life :( but still looking ...)

    ReplyDelete