Tuesday, March 15, 2011

One step closer

I told myself that if I could find an illustration photo that perfectly expressed my current feelings, I would publish this post.


Today I completed level 2 of 6 of my Dutch course at the language centre at the University of Ghent. My final score was 90%. That, and a rare case of beautiful warm weather, makes this a great day to be A Norwegian in Belgium.

The preparatory year of Dutch is a six-month long preparation for foreigners who do not speak Dutch but still wish to study at the University of Ghent. When I've completed it, I'll be enrolling at the faculty of arts and philosophy to do a bachelor of language and literature in two languages. I've so far only made up my mind about one of these (English). The second one is a tougher choice. What would you go for: German, Italian, Latin, or Swedish? Please let me know what and why.

German would probably be the most tactical choice. Although only 71,000 Belgians speak German, the country has close ties to its neighbour Germany, where over 80 million people speak the language.

Latin, on the other hand, is a dead language. However, it has always been a fundamental part of Belgian secondary education. It's also very useful if you want to study ancient Rome. Once you're out of school, though, it quickly falls out of use. The only Belgians who use Latin in a professional setting today are lawyers and Bart De Wever.

If anyone has anything to say that might help me make the right choice - or any choice - please don't hesitate to do so. That's what the comments form is there for.

2 comments:

  1. A good word of advise: pick the language that you want to get acquainted with the most - don't think so much of how "useful" it will be in Belgium, because a smart guy like you will get a nice job in any case ;)
    If I were you, I would maybe also take German :) But if you want to make it a little bit easier, why not Swedish ;) Latin is extremely hard, and it demands a lot of studying. But it's also really interesting, with the Roman culture and literature. Remember that, whatever you choose, I will always be at your side to help you :) <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the input. I thinks on it ;)

    ReplyDelete