Friday, March 4, 2011

Song of the week: Jan De Wilde - Een Vrolijk Lentelied

Jan De Wilde (b. 1944) is one of Belgium's most famous and infamous singer-songwriters. His popularity peaked in the 1970s, but he's been performing since 1962 and is still going strong. He has also worked with Urbanus, whose popularity would eventually eclipse that of his old comrade.

"Een Vrolijk Lentelied" ("A joyful spring-song") was first released in 1972. I put up the lyrics for anyone who knows Dutch. There's also an English translation for those who don't speak Dutch but enjoy quirky lyrics.



Daar is de lente, daar is de zon
Bijna, maar ik denk dat
Ze weldra zal komen
De fallus impudicus staat al in bloei
En de blaadjes krijgen bomen!

Mijn vrouw en mijn kat zijn allebei krols
Het valt me moeilijk ze rustig te houden
Ik zal binnenkort weer een heleboel
Nesten moeten bouwen, want...

Daar is de lente, daar is de zon
Bijna, maar ik denk dat
Ze weldra zal komen
De fallus impudicus staat al in bloei
En de blaadjes krijgen bomen!

De bloembollen barsten open met een knal
En de meisjes ontbloten de kuiten
De bouwvakkers hebben na een nare tijd
Weer iets om naar te fluiten, want...

Daar is de lente, daar is de zon
Bijna, maar ik denk dat
Ze weldra zal komen
De fallus impudicus staat al in bloei
En de blaadjes krijgen bomen!

Translation:

There is the spring, there is the sun
Almost, but I think
She will come soon
The phallus impudicus is already in bloom
And the leaves are getting trees!

My wife and my cat are both in heat
It is difficult for me to keep them quiet
I'll soon have to build a lot
Of nests, because ...

There is the spring, there is the sun
Almost, but I think
She will come soon
The phallus impudicus is already in bloom
And the leaves are getting trees!

The buds burst with a bang
And the girls bare their calves
Once more the construction workers
Have something to whistle at, because...

There is the spring, there is the sun
Almost, but I think
She will come soon
The phallus impudicus is already in bloom
And the leaves are getting trees!

Phallus impudicus, AKA common stinkhorn.

8 comments:

  1. lol I had no idea about the mushroom!

    But it's a great song :) <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's good to know even Belgians can benefit from my blog ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jan De Wilde is on my metaphorical "hitlist" since his song "Communisten" in which he quite badly insulted the leftists (to which i subscribe)

    He appeared on the latest Yevgueni album doing a duet with Yevgueni, a cover of Eels' song "Beautiful Freak". The cover, in Dutch, is called "Zalige Zot". Not as good as the original, but quite decent nonetheless. Always risky to try to cover an Eels song...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw Yevgueni live in Brussels last month, and they brought Jan De Wilde in as a special guest for "Zalige Zot". It's not my favourite song on the album, but seeing them together on stage was a special moment.

    The first Yevgueni song I ever heard was on a Mix CD my fiancé gave me on our second meeting. It was another cover, of "In Liverpool" by Suzanne Vega. It's called "In Deze Stad", and it's still one of my very favourite Yevgueni songs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yevgueni are good. "Hoe minder zin het heeft, hoe meer zin je er aan kan geven. Zin, zin, alles heeft zin, ik zie nog wel de lijntjes maar ik kleur ze niet meer in". I interpretate that as a dedication to live life to full extent and not avoid risks, because the unexpected things that happen may be the most pleasant experiences in the end.

    One of the best Dutch language songs written in recent years. Klaas Delrue has charisma too on stage, which is what I miss a bit with some Belgian singers. Stijn Meuris too is one of those with a lot of charisma. At stage he gets loose completely and rocks like you'd never expect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you're on to something with that interpretation.

    I don't know Stijn Meuris' music that well, but I think he's got a great voice. I will investigate further.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stijn Meuris was the brain behind the bands Noordkaap and Monza, most people who enjoy the one band also like the other, because the music is very similar. In fact both are Stijn Meuris with an ever-changing line-up. I recommend these songs: "Satelliet SUZY", "Wat is kunst?", "Een heel klein beetje Oorlog", "Panamarenko", "Van God los", "Zijn naam veel te luid", "Parvenu", "Stel dat jij nu niet bestond", "Alles half". They also managed to turn "Arme Joe" (a quite bad schlager song by Will Tura) into a fantastic hardrock track, what an accomplishment compared to the original! Stijn Meuris may come across as a calm tranquil guy in interviews, but on stage he truly rocks like you'd never expect. I saw Monza live at Rock Zottegem and was impressed with mainly Meuris' charisma on stage. Very different from how he comes across as off-stage.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the tips! I'll check them out.

    ReplyDelete