Friday, September 9, 2011

Jukebox Friday: R.E.M. - Fall On Me (live at Rock Werchter 2008)

This one goes out to the one I love.

My first-ever conversation with my wife was about the American alternative rock band R.E.M. She was curious about some strange new song titles in my recently played list, and I was happy to tell her that R.E.M. - our favourite band - had just released a new album (Accelerate). It kind of snowballed from there.

By the time R.E.M. went on tour to promote the album, we had both decided to get tickets. Sadly not to the same concert, though. She went to see them at Rock Werchter (at the same stage where we would see Editors two years later), and I went to Koengen in Bergen, the capital of western Norway.

During one of our online chats, we had asked each other what our favourite R.E.M. songs were. We both replied "Fall On Me", from the 1986 album Lifes Rich Pageant.

A few months later, when we were fighting our way down a mountain on our very first day together, I would repeat those three words. I told her to "fall on me", because the last thing I wanted was for her misery to increase by getting a soaked bum from slipping and falling in the wet grass. R.E.M. nerds as we are, it lightened the mood a bit.

Three days later, she went back to Belgium, now much more than a friend.

Twelve days ago, I put a ring on her finger and made her my wife. I know this is a cliché, but I'll say it anyway:

OOOOOHHH YEEEEEAHHH!!!



There's a problem, feathers iron
Bargain buildings, weights and pullies
Feathers hit the ground before the weight can leave the air
Buy the sky and sell the sky and tell the sky and tell the sky

Don't fall on me (what is it up in the air for) (it's gonna fall)
Fall on me (if it's there for long) (it's gonna fall)
Fall on me (it's over it's over me) (it's gonna fall)

There's the progress we have found (when the rain)
A way to talk around the problem (when the children reign)
Building towered foresight (keep your conscience in the dark)
Isn't anything at all (melt the statues in the park)
Buy the sky and sell the sky and bleed the sky and tell the sky

Don't fall on me (what is it up in the air for) (it's gonna fall)
Fall on me (if it's there for long) (it's gonna fall)
Fall on me (it's over it's over me) (it's gonna fall)

Well I could keep it above
But then it wouldn't be sky anymore
So if I send it to you you've got to promise to keep it whole

Buy the sky and sell the sky and lift your arms up to the sky
And ask the sky and ask the sky

Don't fall on me (what is it up in the air for) (it's gonna fall)
Fall on me (if it's there for long) (it's gonna fall)
Fall on me (it's over it's over me) (it's gonna fall)

Don't fall on me (what is it up in the air for) (it's gonna fall)
Fall on me (if it's there for long) (it's gonna fall)
Fall on me (it's over it's over me) (it's gonna fall)


(Lyrics and music: Berry/Buck/Mills/Stipe)

8 comments:

  1. *was there somewhere in the crowd* And lift your arms up to the sky... :)

    You know the people who stood in front of me were totally astonished when they saw I could sing along to those lyrics... :p

    Hey, you know I had tons of fun climbing that mountain with you ;) never think otherwise <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was astonished to be (seemingly) the only one shouting "Leonard Bernstein!" during "It's The End Of The World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)" ;)

    <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Once again big congrats on the wedding! Wishing you a long and happy life together! :)

    PS: one of my favourite bands is The Connells, often compared to REM because they both started off in the mid-eighties and both came from the American South (REM were from Atlanta, The Connells from North Carolina). Check them out, they're famous for 74-75 but they made a lot more gems...

    Again a big CONGRATULATIONS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much! And if there's one thing I really want to check out, it's Southern alternative and folk rock from the 80s and 90s.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is for sure a real love story! My dear son you've catched a beautiful bird! Or, were you catched by The Black bird? <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you wanna check The Connells out (one state further north than REM but often compared to each other, even when they both went a very different direction in the end... Guess it's just the fact they were both Southern bands from the same era that makes people compare them) : I recommend, other than their epic hit 74-75, to check the following songs: Seven, Darker Days, Choose A Side, Scotty's Lament, New Boy, Lay Me Down, Stone Cold Yesterday, Over There.
    I must admit, other than that they've inspired me for my own poetry often, that I often sing their songs while laying in bed prior to waking up for the daytime duty. My neighbours probably know who The Connells are from first hand (without claiming that my singing skills come even close to those of Doug MacMillan)

    Also, make sure to have a Guiness and fiddle at hand while listening to Scotty's Lament, as the intro could come straight out of an Irish pub party. I delight in my despair ; yeah!



    As for the REM song you posted: isn't the song about environmental issues. The lyrics seem to point to city planning with high rise blocks, polluting the sky. It's quite known that Michael Stipe is very concerned about the environment and supports environmental causes, so it would make sense. Allthough one thing I tend to like about REM is that their lyrics leave room for interpretation. My favourite track of them would be "Drive" (I still wonder what that "Smack, crack, bushwhacked" could possibly mean ?)


    Once again: a very happy and long life together to both of you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. PS (forgot to post): The Connells' catalogue is sadly enough out of print. I managed to buy Ring in a Spanish record store that had one unsold copy laying in their attic for over 15 years, who knows I may have bought the last available copy in the entire Catalonia. I finally, after a long search, managed to order their other albums second hand through Amazon. Not really the same as a new one, but I still prefer a second hand record rather than a legal MP3 without booklet and which you cannot touch.

    Are you guys both Editors fans too? IMO one of the best bands from the modern era (along with A Perfect Circle and Muse) ; a girl introduced me to them and I got quite hooked on songs such as Papillon, Blood, The Racing Rats, and Munich. They won't be the start of a new romance though: the girl is already dating someone... Still , a good friendship's never a loss neither.

    ReplyDelete