Friday, November 18, 2011

Jukebox Friday: Yevgueni - Veel te mooie dag


"Veel te mooie dag" ("Much too beautiful day") was written in memory of Hilde Rens, better known by her stage name Yasmine. A successful Flemish television presenter, pop artist and LGBT icon, she took her own life in 2009 after suffering from depression.

Yasmine. Source

Featured on Welkenraedt (2011), Yevgueni's fourth studio album, the song is a first-person description of the narrator's immediate reaction to the tragic news. Although it was written with a specific person and a specific day in mind, it resonates strongly with the feelings of sorrow and denial we all feel when faced with something too terrible to take in all at once. Some may be reminded of a moment of regret, a moment when they know they could have done more for someone else but will never get the chance again.

The above YouTube video was dedicated to the victims of the 2011 Pukkelpop tragedy, when a freak storm devastated the festival grounds and caused the deaths of five people.


Lyrics (original Flemish):

Het leek nochtans een hele mooie dag
Het rook naar mensen en naar gras
Er was muziek en er was tienduizend man
Toen iemand zei dat jij er niet meer was

Een lopend vuurtje trok een sprintje door ons land
Tien mensen grepen naar hun tas
Tien telefoons, hetzelfde bericht
En iemand zei dat jij er niet meer was

En de zon maar schijnen een veel te mooie dag
En de zon maar schijnen een veel te mooie dag
En een verdwaalde vlucht
Doorstreept de blauwe lucht
En ik wou dat ik daarboven was
Of dat ik nog niet op de hoogte was

Het leek nochtans een hele mooie dag
Ik sprong in mijn auto en ik las
Een oud bericht wel honderd keer opnieuw

Het was van jou "dat het niet zo dringend was"

En de zon maar schijnen een veel te mooie dag
En de zon maar schijnen een veel te mooie dag
En een verdwaalde vlucht
Doorstreept de blauwe lucht
En ik wou dat ik daarboven was
Dat alles hier nog bij het oude was


Lyrics (English translation):

Nevertheless, it seemed like a really beautiful day
It smelled of grass and of people
There was music and there were ten thousand people
Then someone said that you were no more.

A wild fire spread across the land
Ten people reaching for their bags
Ten telephones, the same message
And someone said that you were no more.

And the sun just shines on a much too beautiful day
And the sun just shines on a much too beautiful day
And a wayward flight
Streaks across the blue sky
And I wish that I was up there
Or that I was still unaware.

Nonetheless, it seemed like a really beautiful day
I got in my car and read
An old message a hundred times over

It was from you, saying that "it wasn't that urgent"...

And the sun just shines on a much too beautiful day
And the sun just shines on a much too beautiful day
And a wayward flight
Streaks across the blue sky
And I wish that I was up there
That everything was still just as before

***

Bonus: For those of you who play the guitar, here are the chords.

4 comments:

  1. Very haunting (although not as good as "So slow" from Sophia, which also deals with the loss of a loved one -- but then I'm a God Machine and Sophia addict so a bit biased). Yasmine's death was shocking, especially if you listen to some of her lyrics. "Dromen van het leven" for example, such a beautiful song. The lyrics are hopeful, beautiful, full of desire. If you listen to that song and then realise Yasmine committed suicide, you just keep wondering why even more.

    I am clinically depressed myself. I know how it feels when you just lose grip on everything that keeps you going. I have my artistic writings to keep me going, and my unrealised travel goals. Yasmine had her family, but when just that fell apart... although probably her decision was inspired by more than just that alone. We'll never know. For sure it is sad the subject of depression is only discussed when a celebrity commits suicide. With my writings I try to help breaking the taboo but the stigma and taboo are sky high. A lot of work needs to be done.

    I very much recommend "Dromen van het leven" by Yasmine, a haunting song, one of the rare Dutch-language songs that I don't seem to get bored of no matter how often I play it. However, when hearing those lyrics, the "why?" becomes even bigger. For sure Yasmine was one of the most talented Belgian artists and she will never be forgotten, her music will live on. I have to think of Jotie 't Hooft now as well, another Belgian artist full of talent, with haunting words, for whom life became too much of a weight to carry.

    RIP to all who left life, famous or not. It is always sad when it happens, but nobody should ever judge it. And obviously, RIP Yasmine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Strange how I don't remember this happening. It's sad, though. You can really feel the frutstration when the singer mentions the lyric about the text message. I remember her face, I think I might have seen her on tv a couple of times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Gerrit: Thanks for sharing your story; thanks for all the great suggestions; and thanks for having a good point.

    I believe in the power and independence of the individual, and the freedom to do whatever you want. But this also puts a great responsibility on the rest of us: to be alert, and to not turn our heads away when someone else's pain makes us feel uncomfortable.


    @Bika: I didn't know the story until I heard this song. When I did, I got this absurd feeling that I could have done something, *should* have done something. I'm sure I wasn't the only one. But of course, I was never in a position to help. And when my path does cross that of someone in desperate need of help, I'm usually never aware of it.

    That is why we have to do something when we know we're dealing with someone who has a problem. You may, in any given situation, be the only person in the world in a position to do something. Do not let that chance slip away from you, because you might end up regretting it for the rest of your life.

    Hope that doesn't sound too heavy; I haven't had my morning coffee yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a waste of a cute little chicki pie. Been reading up and checking this out and the amount of waste. Above comment, Ive had some case were people top themselves. A mate who I had an out of blue urge to visit, but I ignored it, only to read the local paper and find he had shot himself days after. Females.... Have that look, then you dont see them again, but dont know what happened to them. Ive had one look me in the eye with that rock bottom look of suicide, but I didnt know her, and though I knew what that look was, assholes will butt in "and cut you off" as being a busy body in the only setting I saw her {busy/ shopping}. No longer here. Bottom line is people are being self centered. And have to realize that they may be mentally feeling weak or fragile, and want / need love and thats the crux of their problem, but with love if a person is too needy then it will repel the other person, or becomes a drag to them. Or in the words of a bloke who hooked with a needy woman "dude, its like throwing one rock and having an averlanche". Smuthered is another. There needs to be more meaningful communication in the world. In life also is you can express feelings to someone, but they dont want to come across as desperate - and end up coming across as too cold, thus they screw with your sense of judgment when it comes to sticking your beak into someone elses life. Ive regreated events in life, but its a case of there is that many of them like this beautiful chick above, that its like holding the dust in your hands only to have it falling through your fingers - there is that many. They top the road deaths hands down. But maybe people should be talking more about serious things in life, so its on a level where such people will feel confortable to slide across to another conversation. But also understanding love, smothering repels, absense makes the heart grow fond, thus inside people need to stand tall be sure in themselves before wanting love, not to be unfit and think of it as a tool to fix what the entity doesnt fix inside themselves. And the Crux of all this is God, he made us and is in us or is the source of inner strength {Hes also jellous, so if people love each other more then him - he'll screw it up - bring it to an end, or they look alive but they are already dead, no light in the eyes, - the living dead}. My mate who topped himself I know his spirit traveled around, I got visits from him time to time. Then I had a dream about him {after his travels - travel across America {we are in New Zealand}}, in the spirit realm, he walked toward me {ahh - he says} and through me as "to brushing me aside" to top himself off again. But for females, read the book "dating for dummies" if love is the drug your thinking of!

    ReplyDelete