Friday, May 25, 2012

Jukebox Friday: Urban Trad - Sanomi

As predicted, Belgium did not do very well at the 2012 Eurovision Song Contest. It was as much as I had expected, but I still think it's unfair that Iris lost to that screaming, vampiric woman with the dreadlocks.

As a shaft of sunlight breaking through the clouds of depression now descending upon the Belgians, I offer a flashback to the glory days of their participation at the ESC. The year is 2003, and Urban Trad enter the competition with "Sanomi", a haunting folk song with an electronic beat. It was the first ESC song with lyrics in a constructed language, which prompted the following comment from BBC's Terry Wogan: "Three languages to choose from and they had to make up their own."

Europe obviously didn't care about the lyrical content, because "Sanomi" soared to the highest score of any Belgian song since Sandra Kim's "J'aime La Vie", which won the Contest in 1986. Unfortunately, 2003 was the year of another great song, Sertab Erener's "Everyway That I Can", arguably the best ESC performance in history. When the points had been dealt and the dust had settled, "Sanomi" was still two points behind the Turkish winner.

Today I celebrate 2003's runner-up: "Sanomi", a song too awesome for words. That is, words in any comprehensible language. Lyrics below the video.



Sanomi Helé
Manilla Keranu
Aliya Irema Nia Lago
Ture Madilé

Sanomi Helé
Manilla Keranu
Aliya Irema Nia Madilé

Kenatu Narilé
Lakenatu Narilé
Pasema Niamo Ture Saro
Delamaoré

Kenatu Narilé
Lakenatu Narilé
Pasema Niamo Ture Sanisi

Sanomi Helé
Manilla Keranu
Aliya Irema Nia Lago
Ture Madilé

Sanomi Helé
Manilla Keranu
Aliya Irema Nia Madilé

Kenatu Narilé
Lakenatu Narilé
Pasema Niamo Ture Saro
Delamaoré

Kenatu Narilé
Lakenatu Narilé
Pasema Niamo Ture Sanisi

Léala Léala Sorimana Sorimana
Léala Léala Sorimanao
Léala Léala Sorimana Sorimana
Léala Léala Sorimana Soléo

Sanomi Helé
Manilla Keranu
Aliya Irema Nia Madilé

Léala Léala Sorimana Sorimana
Léala Léala Sorimanao
Léala Léala Sorimana Sorimana

2 comments:

  1. I think the VRT tried too much to do a "Tom Dice II": a nice warm ballad. Problem: Tom's song was so much better, musically and lyrics-wise, and Tom sung with a lot more confidence. Iris was not bad, but the song is forgotten very easily after first hearing it.

    I must add however, that Albanian girl with the dreadlocks is my favourite. What a piece of art. What a voice. And I am NOT sarcastic here. I want her to win. After years of Eurovision boredom with pop tunes sung in English over and over again, finally an original entry, with a singer who has a fantastic vocal reach. And I looked up translated lyrics, the song is not only very good in its construction, but the lyrics are good too. I'm buying credit for my mobile and will be sending SMS votes for Albania tomorrow. Vampish dreads or not, this song is great and the singer is fantastic. Albania for the win !!

    PS: although not really good enough to win, the grannies from Russia are charming in some way. A nice top 5 entry for its catchy tune and originality. But if real art wants to beat cheasy pop music, then there's just one option: ALBANIA !

    PS: This is Gerrit posting. I opted for anonymous because I noticed that lately, when posting under my name, the previous comment I made somehow disappears. Very strange. To avoid previous comments from disappearing I play safe and post as Anonymous, but it's clearly Gerrit writing here :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks like neither of us got what we wanted :-P

      Delete